Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thank God for Girlfriends

I think in the bible it goes something like this. God created man (Adam), then God created woman (Eve). Then, I believe, what must have happened next is God created more women. Otherwise, Eve could never have tolerated Adam, much less procreate with him. Can you imagine ladies, being married to your hubby (yes they are great), but not having your girlfriends to chat with, to share with, to connect with, to guy bash with? For me, it just wouldn't work. Women have a certain connection, sense of empathy, understanding that men just don't have. For most men (not all) empathy, understanding, even expressing emotions, just don't come easily or naturally. I realize these are generalizations, and they are just that, generalizations. So if your husband, brother, father, boyfriend, whatever is perfect and has all of these qualities, then that's great for you. For the rest of us, we couldn't survive without some female bonds.


I have no attraction or physical desire for another woman. But I can understand why two women would be together. Can you imagine? Most women are very intuitive, know when somethings wrong without having to ask, empathy and emotion come natural. So I can only imagine with two women in a relationship, the communication and understanding must be wonderful. You probably don't hear this in a lesbian relationship, "I can't read your mind, you have to tell me what you want." There's probably never a small kitchen appliance given as a gift, women just know better. A women would never ask another woman, "do I look fat in this dress," and get this in response, "I don't know?" AAAAAAAYYYYYYYY, WRONG ANSWER. Then you throw your shoe at them. Don't get me wrong, I love my man. But even if you were married to George Clooney, mmmmm, aaaaaah, uhhhhhh...um-hum sorry, what was I saying? Oh that's right, even if you were married to George Clooney, without a doubt you'd still need your girlfriends (perhaps not as much, though).


I believe we all have friends for different reasons. There's the go to friend, the one you can go to with or about anything, she's always there. There's the mom friend, the one you share a friendship and connection with because she's a mom and has kids your kids age. There's the party friend, the one that's guaranteed to always have fun and make you laugh. There's the sister friend, the coworker friend, the neighbor friend, the gossiping with friend, the childhood friend, I can go on and on. Sometimes all of these friends are rolled up into one or two people, but more likely into several. My best friends have helped me through motherhood, the loss of my dad, grief, illness and medical diagnoses, and problems in my marriage. Sometimes I wonder why I pay for a therapist, my "go to" friends do just as well, if not better because they know me so well. One of my very best friends and I joke that we are like therapists for each other. We have such similar personalities in most ways and sometimes share similar problems at the same time. Whether it's something we're struggling with in our marriage, struggles with parenting, trying to remember our former selves, feeling just a muck, it's rather uncanny. For myself, it's my friends, the times we share, the bonds we share, the chats we have, that get me through life. I couldn't live without my husband or my kids, they are my life. But my girlfriends, my girlfriends, also hold a very special place in my life and in my heart. Til' next time, carry on.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Great blog, Tricia. I agree--girlfriends are such an important part of a woman's life... or should be! I love my husband and family dearly but there are just so many things that are better shared w/ friends.

AmyK said...

Tricia, this Blog is so, so true!
Without support of friends, life would be much harder! Friends-everyone of them contribute something special and different to my life. Great Blog! We are so lucky to have the friends we have!

Anonymous said...

Let me clarify, you're a go-to friend with lots of those other friend characteristics you mentioned all rolled up into one.

Anonymous said...

I actually left a comment before this one, saying something like how you were right on with your blog topic, etc. Anyways, I enjoyed reading your post.